Tandoori Style Chicken is A low-fat yogurt coating spiked with lime juice and spices adds zip to skinless chicken.
Ingredients for Tandoori Style Chicken
- 1 Chicken (3 ½ Pounds), Skin Removed
- Container (8 Ounces) Plain Low fat Yogurt
- ½ Small Onion, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Minced, Peeled Fresh Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Red Pepper (Cayenne)
- Pinch Ground Cloves
How to make Tandoori Style Chicken
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove giblets and neck from chicken; reserve for another use. Rinse chicken inside and out with cold running water; drain well. Pat dry with paper towels.
- With chicken breast side up, lift wings up toward neck, then fold wing tips under back of chicken so wings stay in place. Tie chicken legs together with string.
- In blender, combine yogurt, onion, paprika, lime juice, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, ground red pepper, and cloves, and puree until smooth.
- Place chicken in large bowl. Coat chicken inside and out with yogurt mixture. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in small roasting pan (13″ by 9″). Brush outside of chicken with half of yogurt mixture remaining in bowl; reserve any remaining mixture.
- Roast chicken 30 minutes. Brush chicken with remaining yogurt mixture; roast about 30 minutes longer. Chicken is done when meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh, next to body, reaches 175′ to 180°F and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with tip of knife.
- Transfer chicken to warm platter; let stand 10 minutes to set juices for easier carving
Each Serving: About 320 Calories 45g Protein | 7g Carbohydrate | 12g Total Fat (4g Saturated) | 130mg Cholesterol | 600mg Sodium.
Tandoori Style Chicken Recipe-2
In Indian cooking “tandoori” refers to cut-up chickens, meat kebabs, and flat breads that are cooked in a tandoor, a fiercely hot charcoal-fired vertical oven. Before cooking, chicken and meat are always marinated in an aromatic mixture of yogurt and spices. This marinade is tinted with a natural dye, which imparts to tandoori chicken (opposite) its characteristic orange yellow color. An excellent tandoori-style chicken can be prepared in a covered grill using a very hot fire. To ensure that the outside does not char before the chicken cooks through, use the smallest
chicken parts you can find or cut a 3-pound chicken into parts yourself. Two split rock Cornish hens also work well. In lieu of grilling you can roast the chicken on a lightly oiled baking sheet in a 500°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, but be prepared for a smoky kitchen.
Prepare Tandoori Marinade
- Remove the skin from: 3% pounds chicken parts or 2 split. rock Cornish hens Add the chicken pieces to the marinade, turn to coat well, cover the bowl, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire. When the coals are covered with white ash, push them over to one side of the grill.
- Replace the grill rack and cover the grill until the rack is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken parts bone side down on the hot rack over the coals, cover the grill, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken and place it opposite the coals, replace the grill cover, and cook until the juices run clear when the meat is pricked with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes more.