Stuffed Eggplant Maharashtrian Style : Bharli vangi is another popular vegetarian traditional preparation in Kolhapur Bharli Vangi is a traditional Maharashtrian dish, The Maharashtrian way to cook eggplants. You will be adding a special combination of spices that give the humble eggplant a unique avatar.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for stuffed eggplant maharashtrian style
- Brinjal or Eggplants (6 small)
- Crushed Peanuts (2 tsps)
- Red Chillier Powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (a pinch)
- Dried Coconut (1 tsp)
- Garam Masala (1 tbsp)
- Roasted White Sesame Seeds (½ tsp)
- Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
- Cumin Seeds (½ tsp)
- Mustard Seeds (¼ tsp)
- Peanut Oil (3 tsp)
- Lemon Juice (¼ tsp)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- bharli vangi kolhapuri styleLeaves for garnishing.
Before you start:
- Cut the eggplants into four parts but leave them attached at the stems.
- Mix together the crushed peanuts, chili powder, turmeric powder, coconut, garam masala, sesame seeds and salt.
- Stuff the mixture into the eggplants and set aside.
How to cook stuffed eggplant maharashtrian style
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When they are slightly browned, place the eggplants gently in.
- You will need to cover and cook the eggplants, turning them every once a few minutes so they are evenly cooked.
- While they should cook in their own juices, if you feel there isn’t enough moisture for them to cook, sprinkle a little water on them.
- When they are soft and cooked through, sprinkle the lemon juice and sugar and mix well.
- Give it another minute for the lemon juice and sugar to seep properly and take off the heat.
- Your stuffed eggplant maharashtrian style is now ready to be served Garnish with coriander leaves, Serve hot with roti.
- You might want to use a flat-bottomed pan to cook them so the eggplants can be turned easily.