Wings are my favorite cut of chicken – they are moist, tender and oh, so flavor some! They are also incredibly versatile which is why they work so well with intense flavours such as smoky paprika and hot spices. Even though it’s a very simple recipe, I decided to include it in the article because it has never let me down and always impress my guests. Charring the wings before baking means they really are smokin’! Let’s discuss how we make Smokin Fiery Chicken Wings at home, shall we?
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons Holy Trinity Paste (see below)
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli/hot red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon tandoori masala
- 2 tablespoons natural/plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon red chilli/chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 kg/2¼ lbs. chicken wings
How to Make Smokin Fiery Chicken Wings
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients apart from the chicken wings. Mix well until the mixture is smooth, then add in the chicken wings and mix to coat. Allow the wings to marinate overnight in the refrigerator, if possible, or for a minimum of 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4. Heat a griddle pan until smoking (if you don’t have a griddle pan you can use a heavy-bottomed frying pan/skillet). Seal the wings in the hot pan to create a smoky, charred flavour on the skin. Transfer the wings to a large baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Smokin Fiery Chicken Wings is ready to be served. Serve as a snack or appetizer with a dipping sauce or chutney and a squeeze of lime for a final flourish of zestiness.
How to make Holy Trinity Paste
In my opinion, this is vital to most home-cooked Gujarati-style dishes. The ‘holy trinity’ of green chilli/chile, garlic and ginger creates a wonderful fresh flavour. It is quite punchy, so you want to cook out all the rawness from it when it comes to layering flavours in dishes. You can quarter the quantities here for a smaller yield.
Ingredients for 625 G /2½ CUPS
- 200 g/7 oz . (about 6) green chillies/chiles
- 200 g/7 oz . (about 4 0) garlic cloves
- 200 g/7 oz . (about 8 x 5-cm/2-inch pieces) fresh root ginger
- 50 ml/3½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
Blitz together the ingredients in a food processor to form a coarse paste. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.