In this article, we’ll show you how to Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes. Roasting a whole chicken with sweet potatoes, onion, and an apple means deliciously flavored accompaniments are ready when the chicken is. If you use a larger pan, the vegetables may brown more quickly, so check and remove them when they are tender.
- 1 Chicken (3 ½ Pounds)
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes (About 10 Ounces Each), Unpeeled And Each Cut Into 8 Wedges.
- 1 Jumbo Spring Or Sweet Onion (1 Pound), Cut Into 8 Wedges.
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Golden Delicious Apple, Unpeeled, Cored, And Cut Into 8 Wedges
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Marmalade
How to Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove giblets and neck from chicken; reserve for another use.
- With chicken breast side up, lift wings up toward neck, then fold wing tips under back of chicken so wings stay in place. Tie legs together with string.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in medium roasting pan (14″ by 10″). Place sweet potato and onion wedges around rack in pan. Rub ½ teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on outside of chicken. Sprinkle vegetables with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Roast chicken and vegetables 40 minutes. Remove pan from oven; tilt chicken to drain juices from cavity onto vegetables. Add apple wedges to pan.
- Return pan with chicken, vegetables, and apple wedges to oven; roast 15 minutes longer. Brush chicken with marmalade; roast until vegetables and apples are tender, about 5 minutes longer. Chicken is done when temperature on meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh, next to body, reaches 175° to 180°F and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with tip of knife.
- Transfer chicken to warm large platter; spoon vegetable mixture around chicken. Remove skin from chicken before eating, if you like.
Each Serving Without Skin: About 470 Calories | 39g Protein | 47g Carbohydrate | 15g Total Fat (4g Saturated) | 113mg Cholesterol | 535mg Sodium.