In this article, we’ll show you how to Roast Chicken with Pears & Sage. If you can’t get fresh sage, used dried whole-leaf sage. Crumble 1 teaspoon of the leaves to mix with the butter; use 6 whole leaves in the chicken cavity.
- 1 Chicken (3 ½ Pounds)
- 1 Teaspoon Thinly Sliced Fresh Sage Leaves Plus 6 Sprigs
- ¼ Teaspoon Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon Butter Or Margarine, Softened
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Medium Red Onion, Cut Into ½ -Inch-Thick Slices
- 2 Medium Bosc Or Anjou Pears, Peeled, Cored, And Each Cut Into Quarters
How to Roast Chicken with Pears & Sage
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove giblets and neck from chicken; reserve for another use. Rinse chicken inside and out with cold running water, drain Pat dry with paper towels.
- In small bowl, stir sliced sage, pepper, 2 tablespoons butter, and ¼ teaspoon salt. With fingertips, gently separate skin from meat on breast and thighs. Rub herb mixture on meat under skin. Place sage sprigs inside cavity of chicken. Sprinkle outside of chicken with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- With breast side up, lift wings up toward neck, then fold wing tips under back of chicken so wings stay in place. Tie legs together with string.
- In small roasting pan (13″ by 9″), melt remaining 1 teaspoon butter in oven. Remove pan from oven; stir in onion and ¼ cup water. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan with onion. Roast chicken 30 minutes. Add pears and roast 30 minutes longer. Chicken is done when meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh, next to body, reaches 175° to 180°F and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with tip of knife.
- Transfer chicken to warm platter; let stand 10 minutes to set juices for easier carving
- Meanwhile, remove rack from pan. Skim and discard fat from pear mixture. Transfer pear mixture to platter with chicken.
- Roast Chicken with Pears & Sage has cooked and is ready to be served. I hope you enjoy this easy Roast Chicken recipe.
Each Serving: About 600 Calories| 49g Protein | 17g Carbohydrate | 376 Total Fat (13g Saturated) | 176mg Cholesterol | 497mg Sodium.