Puran Poli (Sweet Lentil Stuffed Flatbread) Puran poli is a sweet flatbread enjoyed on almost all special occasions in India. Served hot with a dollop of ghee, it is flavorful and filling.
Ingredients For the filling
- 2 cups cooked split Bengal grams (Chickpea)
- 1 cup jaggery, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder
For the dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Ghee or oil for frying
How to make Puran Poli
- Make the dough. Combine the flour, turmeric powder, salt, and ghee in a bowl and mix well using your fingertips.
- Add a little water and make a soft dough. Cover, and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling. Mix the cooked dal, jaggery, and ghee in a pan and cook until the jaggery is dissolved and mixed in.
- Simmer the mixture until it starts to leave the sides of the pan and is thickened nicely.
- Add the nutmeg powder, cardamom powder, and fennel powder, and mix well. Remove the filling from the heat and let it cool.
- When it is cool, divide both the filling and the dough into 6–8 equal parts.
- Dust and roll the dough balls out to make 4- or 5-inch circles. Place a filling ball in the center of a dough circle and bring the ends together.
- Dust the surface and roll it out again again to make a 6-inch circle.
- Heat a griddle and transfer the stuffed flatbread onto the griddle. Cook on both sides until brown spots appear.
- Apply ghee on both sides and press the stuffed flat bread using the back of a ladle. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Make the remaining breads (Puran Poli) in the same manner.