In this article, I will show you A very simple but delicious pumpkin dish “Pumpkin cubes in Spices”. The spices give it a nice flavor and it cooks quickly. You will need to put in the minimum of effort into this one. But before jumping on cooking recipe let’s discuss the health benefits of Pumpkin in brief.
We all want to follow a diet that does not involve too many calories or fats. So, pumpkins seem like a good choice. In fact, pumpkins are very rich in fiber, so they will fill you up rapidly and make you feel satisfied for a while. A cup of pumpkin flesh contains just a little less than 50 calories. That’s amazing, especially if you consider all the other benefits as well!
The amount of vitamin A offered by pumpkins is impressive. They also will give you some vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, copper, manganese, folate, niacin, iron, phosphorous, riboflavin, and thiamin. All these wonderful benefits, and less than 1 gram of fat per cup of cooked pumpkin. When you eat pumpkins on a regular basis, you can protect your skin. The carotenoids contained in pumpkins can help your skin stay wrinkle-free and even help with skin cancer in certain cases. The antioxidants of this orange fruit can also help fight some other type of cancers. Even the pumpkin seeds have been recognized to help fight cancers, so don’t throw them away!
Your immune system will certainly benefit from eating pumpkins once in a while, helping you fight infections and colds better. When you are working out or exercising, eating pumpkin products can help you keep that replenishment on vitamins and minerals, so you should definitely consider it. Finally, because of its high content in vitamin A, pumpkins can help you keep your mood under control.
Alright, are you convinced yet that pumpkins are awesome and you should think about preparing some great dishes with them? If you still need a little convincing, that’s okay. We have more tricks in our hat, including this wonderful pumpkin recipe to follow. So let’s start preparation ….
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Pumpkin cubes in Spices
- Pumpkin (500 gms)
- Oil (1 1/2 tbsp)
- Cumin Seeds (½ tsp)
- Mustard Seeds (½ tsp)
- Cashew nuts (10)
- Onion (1 medium)
- Turmeric Powder (1 pinch)
- Curry Leaves (1 sprig)
- Chillier Powder (1 tsp)
- Ginger-garlic paste (1 tsp)
- Coriander Seeds Powder (2 tbsp)
- Sugar (3 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing.
Before you start:
- Clean the seeds and cube the pumpkin. If you like you can take off the outer rind but this is one vegetable that you can cook along with the skin. You just might need to give it a few minutes of added cooking time. If you intend to remove the rind, just add a few less spices.
- Dice the onion.
How to make Pumpkin cubes in Spices
- In a pan, heat the oil and add in the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they brown a little, add the diced onion and cashew nuts. Sauté a little.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, curry leaves, chili powder and coriander seeds powder. Sauté a little and let the spices blend a little.
- Add the pumpkin cubes, sugar and salt to taste. Also add a little water, just enough so the pumpkin cooks.
- Cover and cook on a low heat until the pumpkin is tender and cooked through.
Garnish these Pumpkin cubes in Spices with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Chapati or enjoy as it is.