Spicy Dumplings in Buttermilk (paruppu urundai mor kuzhambu ) Tamil or South Indian variation on the Gujarati Kadhi mentioned above. Here the base is made with buttermilk, it also requires a separate tarka and an extra step of making lentil dumplings. This is a little more effort than the previous buttermilk soup, but worth the effort.
Serves : 4 persons
Ingredients for paruppu urundai mor kuzhambu
- 1 cup split yellow pigeon peas or tuvar dal, rinsed
- 3-4 dried red chilies, stems removed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ cup curry leaves
- ½ cup medium onion
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
Ingredients for Curry:
- 2 ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup shredded dried coconut
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 dried thai chilies
- 5 tbsp rice flour or chickpea flour
Ingredients for Tarka:
- 2 tbsp oil of your choice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 2-3 red chilies
How to make paruppu urundai mor kuzhambu
- Prepare the dumplings; soak the dal along with dried chilies for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Drain the dal and chilies. Add salt and transfer to a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the mustard seeds and after 30 seconds, once they start to pop add curry leaves and onion, then cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tuvar dal paste and cook for a few minutes. Turn off the heat, fold in the coconut and fresh coriander.
- Form into medium sized balls and steam them for 10 minutes. Set aside
- Prepare the curry by whisking the buttermilk with dried coconut and rice flour in a sauce pan.
- In a food processor make a paste by combining the ½ cup coconut, cumin seeds and Thai chiles into a paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the buttermilk and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat and add the dumplings. Be gentle or the dumpling will fall apart.
- Prepare the tarka by heating up oil in a sauce pan over medium heat add mustard seeds, curry leaves and chilies and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tarka to the buttermilk mixture and serve.
This paruppu urundai mor kuzhambu Recipe Pairs well with – any variation of flatbreads or with steamed Basmati rice.