This is a dish cooked with okra and split mung bean and can be eaten with rice or roti. It has a lovely flavor and is fragrant with spices.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for Okra in a Split Mung Bean
- Tomato (1 medium-sized)
- Garam masala (1 teaspoon)
- Split Mung Beans (¼ cup)
- Turmeric Powder (a pinch)
- Oil (2 teaspoons)
- Okra (about 100 gm or 10 to 15)
- Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
- Mustard Seeds (½ tsp )
- Curry Leaves (about 10-12)
- Oil (1 teaspoon)
- Whole Red Chilies (2)
- Split Chickpeas (1 teaspoon)
- Shallots (2)
Before you start:
- Wash the okra, wipe it down until dry and cut into 1 cm long pieces.
- Dice the onions and tomatoes but keep aside separately.
How to cook Okra in a Split Mung Bean
- Add enough water to the split mung beans with the turmeric and cook until soft.
- In a non-stick pan, heat a little oil. Add the cut okra and stir-fry until it has a nice sheen and starts to steam a little.
- Add in the diced tomato and cook a little more. Add in the garam masala and salt. Stir well and add a cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook covered until the okra is soft.
- Add the cooked mung beans, stir and simmer a little.
- Now prepare the seasoning. In a pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Next, add the chopped onion, curry leaves, red chilies and split chickpeas.
- Stir and cook for a few seconds. Then pour over the curry.
Your Okra in a Split Mung Bean Sauce is ready. Serve hot.
- If you feel the stew is too thick, you can add boiling water a little at a time, stirring continuously until you are happy with it.
- Make sure that when you stir, the okra does not get mashed.
- When you buy the split mung bean and the split chickpeas, look for the skinned variety.