Mushroom and Black Bean Soup (Khumbi Lobhiya Soup) is hearty, flavorful, comfort food, prepared from button mushrooms, and black-eyed peas. It’s like a meal in itself. I have used frozen black-eyed peas, and fresh mushrooms for this recipe.
Serves 4 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients for Mushroom and Black Bean Soup
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil (Jaitoon Ka Tel)
- 2 medium Onions (Pyaz)–finely chopped
- 1 big Clove Garlic (Lehsun)–grated
- 1 cup cleaned and Finely Chopped, Button Mushrooms (Khumbi)
- ½ teaspoon Minced Ginger and Green Chili (Adrak-Hari Mirch)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1½ teaspoons Salt (Namak)
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder (Bhuna Zeera)
- 12 ounce Frozen Black-Eyed Peas (Lobhiya)–thawed
- 4 cups Hot Tap Water (reduces cooking time)
- 2 medium Potatoes (Aloo)–peeled, diced and boiled (in microwave)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (Timatar)–finely chopped
- ¼ cup Vegetable Juice
How to make Mushroom and Black Bean Soup
- Heat oil in a medium pot, over medium heat, then add onions, and sauté, for 6-8 minutes, until golden.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, then sauté for another minute. Reduce the heat to low-medium, and add the spices– ginger-green chili, turmeric, salt, red chili, and cumin powder, then stir fry for a minute, until aromatic.
- Add the black-eyed peas, and water, then stir to mix everything well. Increase the heat to medium-high, and allow the soup to come to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low-medium. Cover, and cook, for 20 minutes, until peas and mushrooms are tender.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, and vegetable juice, then stir again. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, until vegetables and peas are a little mushy, to make the soup thick to the right consistency. Check the seasoning and water, add more as needed, then cook for another 5 minutes,
And finally! Mushroom and Black Bean Soup is ready to be served and serve it hot. These sides will surely satisfy your need to get an extra dose of veggies with this soup.