Caramelized onions deliver an unexpected amount of depth of flavor to any dish and Masoor Dal or other dal curries are no exception. This dish is a contemporary take on a masoor dal curry and not specifically related to any region of India. So let’s prepare Masoor Dal With Caramelized Onions.
Ingredients for Masoor Dal With Caramelized Onions
- Dal: 1 cup split brown lentils or masoor dal (red color in this form)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cardamom seeds
- 4 piece whole cloves
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 Thai green chilies
- 6 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced lengthwise
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
How to make Masoor Dal With Caramelized Onions
- Prepare the dal by rinsing it and soaking it for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, ensure the dal has enough water to cover 4 inches above the dried dal. More water can be added later.
- Add salt to dal and bring the mixture to boil over high heat. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer until dal is cooked. Approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Once the dal is cooked, prepare for the tarka; in a small skillet roast cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, cloves, black peppers over low heat. Turn off the heat and let it cool. In a food processor combine the roasted spices with chilies and pulverize to a paste. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the ghee and heat for a few minutes. Add onions and the chili/spice pulverized paste and cook for 10-15 minutes. Adjust heat as necessary.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and pinch of salt to the mixture and cook over medium heat for 10 more minutes.
- Add the mixture into the dal mixture and simmer on low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Serve while it’s still hot.
Pairs well with – any variation of flatbreads or with steamed Basmati rice.