Thankfully, it would seem as if the food business is slowly but surely changing with a heavy emphasis on health. The last few years on the food scene have seen a rise in popularity of healthy, honest and stripped-back food. We live in a society where, finally, our local farmers are getting the recognition they deserve, honest and natural produce is celebrated, and vegetables are beginning to be celebrated as the heroes that they truly are. This dish is great as an accompaniment to other dishes or as a snack on its own. Not only is cauliflower incredibly healthy, but it is also very robust and therefore great to be used in various ways. The beauty of roasting vegetables is that you can extract natural juices from them and therefore create a lovely intense caramelized flavour. To complement the natural, sweet, nuttiness of the cauliflower, I have created a punchy spice blend which gives it quite a kick! So let’s discuss how we make Kickin cauliflower at home, shall we?
Ingredients for 5 serves
- 800 g cauliflower florets (about 1 large cauliflower)
- freshly chopped coriander/cilantro, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons natural/plain yogurt
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic purée
- 1 teaspoon ginger purée
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli/hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon gram/chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- freshly squeezed juice of ½ lemon
- baking sheet, lined with baking parchment
How to make Kickin’ cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the cauliflower florets. Boil for 3–4 minutes, but no more as you don’t want to overcook them.
- Drain in a colander and leave to stand in the colander to allow all of the excess water to evaporate.
- Meanwhile, combine all of the marinade ingredients with 2 tablespoons of water. Add the blanched cauliflower florets and mix really well. This is quite a thin marinade, which allows it to get into all of the nooks and crannies of the cauliflower florets. Don’t be alarmed by the excess water in the bottom of the bowl as this well help cook the cauliflower without it drying out in the oven.
- Spread the marinated cauliflower out on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 25–30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure that the florets do not start to burn.
- Once the Kickin cauliflower has cooked through (I like to keep a little bite to the florets), remove from the oven, sprinkle over the freshly chopped coriander/cilantro and serve.