In this article, we’ll show you how to prepare Italian Style Roast Chicken with Olives and Peppers.
A simple roast chicken is one of the great pleasures in life and the test of a good kitchen. Perfectly roasted chicken has crisp skin and tender meat. At Olives we spit-roast our chickens over a live fire, which adds char to the skin and smokiness to the meat. The spinning motion of the rotisserie allows the bird to self-baste. If you have a chance, try this method.
I believe in hormone-free chickens, but the quality of the chicken is the more important factor in taste. This has more to do with the strain of bird than how it is raised.
Preparation time: 30 minutes : Cooking time: 1 to 2 hours Serves: 4-6 people
- 1 whole chicken (5 ounces)
- 1 lemon cut in half
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 leaks, washed, trimmed, cut into 3 logs and sliced lengthways
- 2 large red peppers cored, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large orange pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 100 grams of pitted olives
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make Italian Style Roast Chicken with Olives and Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the chicken into a roasting tin; put two of the rosemary sprigs and the lemon halves into the chicken’s cavity. Add the leeks, olives and drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and the chicken. Add the remaining rosemary sprigs and season with salt and pepper. Toss to the vegetables with two spoons to coat evenly.
- Roast for 1 ¼ hours, check whether it is cooked by poking a skewer into the thickest part, if the juices run clear it is cooked. The vegetables will be tender and browning.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve the chicken and arrange it onto plates, top with the vegetables, drizzle the juice from the baking tray over the top and serve.
- I hope you enjoy this Italian Style Roast Chicken with Olives recipe.