I strongly believe that chicken is the most common protein people use on a daily basis. It can be hard to come up with new ways to use it, so your family isn’t bored all the time. Italian Stuffed Barbecue Chicken is my new all time favorite recipe. In this article, we’ll show you how to make this recipe.
Yield: 4 servings
- ½ cup (118 ml) soft breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (79 ml.) freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) sugar
- ¼ cup (59 mL) melted butter
- ½ cup (118 mL) hot water
- 1 (3-pound (1.3-kgl) chicken
- 2 large carrots
- ¾ cup (177 mL) dry or sweet white wine
- ¼ cup (59 mL) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 sprigs rosemary
How to Make Italian Stuffed Barbecue Chicken
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, pepper, sage leaves, sugar, and melted butter. Stir well to mix, then add the hot water and stir again.
- Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken cavity, then stuff both ends of the chicken with the breadcrumb mix. Use poultry skewers to close the tail end so the stuffing won’t fall out.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium high (350°F (180°C) to 400°F [200°C]). Oil a roasting pan.
- Peel the carrots, and cut them into quarters lengthwise. Arrange the carrots in the bottom of the prepared roasting pan. Pour the wine and water over the carrots, add the olive oil, and scatter with the rosemary sprigs.
- Place the chicken on top of the carrots, brush the chicken with olive oil, and place the pan in the barbecue. Cook for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours, basting 3 to 4 times with the juices from the pan. If the chicken starts to get too brown on top, cover it loosely with foil, shiny side up.
- Remove the chicken from the barbecue. With poultry shears, cut the chicken in half and spread the halves apart to let the stuffing get browned a bit. Baste one more time with the juices and transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Spoon the stuffing into a bowl and cover the bowl. Carve or quarter the chicken, placing the meat on a heated platter.
Italian Stuffed Barbecue Chicken is ready to be served, Serve with the carrots and stuffing.