In this article, I ‘ll show you how to Korean Chicken Stew . This is such a good recipe and we think it will become a regular in your kitchen. It’s traditionally made with dried anchovies but to make it a bit easier we suggest you use Korean fish sauce (which is anchovy-based) instead, and it will taste just as good. If you do use the anchovies, you need to remove their livers, which taste bitter. Simply slice the head off at an angle, just behind the gills. You’ll see a little black bit, which is the liver, so make sure you remove that too.
- 1 Large Whole Chicken
- 6 Tbsp Korean Fish Sauce Or 12g Dried Anchovies
- 15g Kombu (Dried Seaweed)
- 2 Medium Onions, Cut Into 2.5cm Dice
- 550g Medium Potatoes, Unpeeled And Cut Into Quarters
- 1 Medium Carrot, Peeled And Sliced
- 6 Large Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 15 g Fresh Root Ginger, Peeled And Grated
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Gochujang (Korean Red Chilli Paste)
- 2 Tbsp Mirin
- 2 Tbsp Gochugaru (Korean Red Chilli Powder)
- Heaped 1/4 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Golden Caster Sugar
How to make Korean Chicken Stew
- Cut the chicken into 20 pieces (on the bone) or ask your butcher to do this for you. Make sure you separate the thighs and drumsticks and cut the thighs into 2 pieces each.
- Remove the liver from the anchovies , if using. Pour 400ml of water into a small pan and add the fish sauce or the anchovies. Cut the kombu into 2.5cm squares and add them to the pan. Gently bring the water to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook the stock for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat – don’t leave the stock to boil or it will become bitter. Once the stock is cool, strain, discard the anchovies (if using) and seaweed and set aside until ready to use.
- Pierce the chicken legs with a small sharp knife – this will help the marinade to penetrate deeper. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the chicken pieces and blanch them for a couple of minutes to remove the excess fat. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Now make the marinade. Put the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, chilli paste, mirin, chilli powder, black pepper and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken pieces and stir so they are well coated in the marinade. Cover with cling film and leave for at least 20 minutes but the longer the better. Alternatively, you can put all the marinade ingredients in a large zip and seal bag and massage them into the chicken through the bag.
- Tip half the onions into a large saucepan with a lid, keeping the rest for later. Place the pan over a low heat and add the marinated chicken, making sure you scrape all the marinade into the pan as well. Add the potatoes – the skin helps keep them from breaking up too much. Then add three quarters of the stock and bring it to the boil. Once the stock is boiling, put the lid on the pan, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes carefully stir the stew and add the carrot and remaining onion. Continue to cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender. Add a little more stock if needed, stirring it in gently so as not to break up the potatoes.
The Korean Chicken Stew dish has cooked and is ready to be served, serve in bowls.