Corn and Bell Pepper Soup (Shimla Mirch Makai Soup) is a delicious, flavorful, and light bell pepper corn soup. It is prepared from bell peppers and corn kernels, cooked in an onion and tomato sauce.
Serves 2 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil (Jaitoon Ka Tel)
- 1 medium Onion (Pyaz)–finely chopped
- 1 big Clove Garlic (Lehsun)–grated
- ½ teaspoon Minced Ginger and Green Chili (Adrak-Hari Mirch)
- 1 cup Fresh Corn Kernels (Makai)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (Namak)
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Shimla Mirch)–deseeded, and diced
- 1 medium Potato (Aloo)–peeled, diced and boiled (in microwave)
- 1 medium Tomato (Timatar)–chopped
- 1/3 cup Tomato Juice (Timatar Rus)
- 2 cups Hot Tap Water (reduces cooking time)
How to cook Corn and Bell Pepper Soup Method
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, then add onions, and sautéfor 5 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Add garlic and ginger, green chili, then cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add corn kernels, and stir-fry for a few minutes, then add dry spices– turmeric, salt, and red chili, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato juice, add water, then mix well.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, and allow the soup to come to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low-medium.
- Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, until the peppers are tender–the potatoes are a little mushy–the corn still has a crunch, and the soup starts to thicken a little.
- Reduce the heat further to low, then partially cover, and let the soup simmer, for another 10 minutes, until it is thick enough for your liking.
- Serve this hot Corn and Bell Pepper Soup with an open tomato cheese grilled sandwich.