This delightful salad looks great on the plate and is a joy to eat. Avocado is a fruit rather than a vegetable, and was once called the butter pear because of its creamy consistency. It’s used mainly in salads because the flavour is very subtle – some might even say bland Not me, though – I love it.
let’s prepare Healthy Chicken salad.
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, skinned and cooled
- 200g cooked, peeled king prawns
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 Little Gem lettuces, leaves separated
- 100g toasted cashews
- A handful of fresh small basil leaves
For the dressing
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to prepare Healthy Chicken salad with Prawn, Mango & Avocado
- Step one Make the dressing. Place the lime zest in a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the lime juice with the vinegar, ginger and oil. Season and mix to combine.
- Step two cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place in a bowl and add the prawns. Peel the mango and cut the cheeks’ away from the stone. Cut the flesh into chunks and add to the bowl. Cut the avocado in half, discard the stone and skin, then thickly slice the flesh into the bowl. Add the cucumber.
- Step three Arrange the lettuce leaves on four plates and top with the chicken mixture. Drizzle over the dressing, and then scatter on the cashew nuts and basil. Serve immediately.
Tips: Avocado oil is now available in some supermarkets and most health food shops. For a tropical touch, add some chopped fresh papaya to the salad.