Dal Dhokli is a lentil soup makes a unique one pot meal hailing from the western part of the country from the state of Gujarat. This soup takes the roti and adds it to the dal instead of having to serve it separately. The result is smooth dumplings floating in the dal mixture. The sweet, tangy and spicy flavors make this dish very addictive.
Ingredients for Dal Dhokli
- Dal: 1 cup split yellow pigeon-peas, picked for stones and rinsed
- 6-7 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3-4 kokum pieces (optional)
- 2 fresh chilies, stemmed and cut crosswise
- 1 tsp cumin power
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp jiggery or sugar
- 1 tbsp tamarind concentrate
Ingredients for Dumplings
- ½cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour (optional)
- 1 tsp jiggery or sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ajwain or bishop’s weed
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- ¼ cup water or more as needed
Ingredients for Tarka
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium tomato
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
How to make Gujrati Style Dal Dhokli, Method
1) Prepare the dal by soaking it between 4-8 hours in the same pot that will be used to cook the dal.
2) Cook the dal by adding water, kokum, chilies, turmeric and salt. Bring the mixture to boil. Turn the heat to medium, cover and simmer the lentil for 40 minutes or until cooked into soup consistency.
3) While the lentils are cooking, prepare the dumpling dough; in a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, jaggery, salt, cayenne pepper, turmeric, ajwain and stir to combine. Rub the ghee or oil into the flour. Add enough water to wet the dough into large lumps and bring it together to form a ball, knead a few times ensuring that the final dough shape remains a ball. Set aside while you return to the dal.
4) Check for the doneness of dal. Add the remaining spices – cumin, coriander, jaggery, tamarind to the dal while it continues to simmer. Taste and adjust salt if necessary. Continue to simmer the dal on low heat.
5) Return to the dough; form the dough into 12-inch log and cut cross-wise into ¼ inch circles. Press each circle in between the palm of your hands to flatten. Once all the dough is shaped, add the ‘dhokli’ or dumplings into the dal that is simmering and cook for 15 -20 minutes.
6) Prepare the tarka by heating oil or ghee in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds, curry leaf and bay leaf and let the spices sizzle. Add the chopped onions and cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until translucent and start to caramelize. Add the chopped tomato and continue to cook until softened and the mixture is similar to a sauce.
7) Add the tarka to the dal. Stir to combine and continue to cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes.
8) Your Dal Dhokli recipe is ready to be served, Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve.
Chef Tip- Dal Dhokli Paris well with – One pot meal, even more enticing the next day as the soup cools and thickens. Enjoy it cold or warmed.