In this article, I ‘ll show you how to make Grilled Spiced Chicken Hearts. This little appetizer is inspired by a dish I once had in Marsa Matruh, in Egypt’s Western Desert, called muhammar, which was made with lamb’s liver. In this preparation, the tiny hearts are tossed with the spice mixture and either fried quickly in a pan or drizzled with olive oil and grilled and eaten before you begin grilling the main meat for dinner.
- ½ pound chicken hearts
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground red chile
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Six 8-inch wooden skewers
How to make Grilled Spiced Chicken Hearts
- In a medium-size bowl, toss the chicken hearts, garlic, cumin, red pepper, salt, and pepper together and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Skewer the chicken hearts and drizzle with olive oil.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill on high for 15 minutes. Place the skewers on the grill and cook until crispy brown, 8 to 10 minutes, turning.
- The Grilled Spiced Chicken Heart is ready to be served. Serve immediately on the skewer as a passed appetizer. Makes 6 servings.
- If you are going to fry the chicken hearts, heat 1 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the hearts until firm and brown, 7 to 8 minutes.