Grilled Chicken with Pico de Gallo, like most salsas, tastes much better served at room temperature, or even warmed slightly. Instead of the cherry tomatoes, you can use a regular tomato chopped into small pieces.
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo
- 12 small yellow cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 whole jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- ¼ cup (59 ml) minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) fresh lime juice
- Freshly grated zest from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) minced fresh cilantro
Ingredients for Chicken
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ½ cup (118 mL) teriyaki sauce
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) minced garlic.
How to Make Grilled Chicken with Pico de Gallo
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, and chopped avocado and stir gently to combine. Add the onion, teriyaki sauce, lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro and gently fold together. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it aside so that the flavors can meld together.
- Place the chicken breasts in a 1-gallon (3.8-L) resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce, lime zest, lime juice, and garlic and pour this marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and shake to distribute the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 ½ to 2 hours; turning the bag over occasionally.
- Make sure the grill has been well oiled or sprayed with nonstick grilling spray. Preheat the barbecue to medium high (350°F (180°C) to 400°F (200°C]).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Pour the marinade into a saucepan and boil for 10 minutes while the chicken comes to room temperature. Place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook, turning and basting occasionally, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and browned
- Place the chicken on a serving platter, spoon 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of pico de gallo over each breast, and serve.
- So finally your Chicken with Pico de Gallo is ready to be served. I hope you enjoy this Ethiopian Recipe.