In this article, we’ll show you how to Grilled Chicken Breast With Basil & Thyme.
Herbed grilled chicken breasts are a summer time favorite for my family. Grilling outside means that we get to enjoy beautiful weather while also preparing a nutritious and simple meal that’s refreshing, light, and easily served or repurposed for multiple meals. I always make an extremely large amount of grilled chicken because it can be easily added to most any meal or repurposed into Chicken Salad with Fresh Vegetables or “Pasta” Bowls. Grilled chicken along with olives and diced avocado are some of my favorite additions to a filling Everyday Salad. Preparing a few sauces in advance (or pulling them from the freezer), such as Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade, Simple Vegan Pesto, Homemade Mayonnaise, or Fresh Basil and Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette, makes grilled chicken a versatile addition to most any meal. Simply freeze any leftovers for a quick meal later in the month. Although this recipe calls for 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of chicken, you can prepare even more for freezing.
- 5 pounds (2.3 kg) boneless chicken breasts (I prefer thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (olive or avocado oil preferred)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
How to make Grilled Chicken Breast With Basil & Thyme
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Evenly coat each chicken breast with oil and place on a large baking sheet in a single layer.
- Lightly sprinkle the garlic and onion powders, thyme, basil, and salt on one side of the chicken breasts, flip, and repeat. Place the chicken on the grill for 8-12 minutes (8 minutes for thinly sliced breasts, 12 or more for full sized) until the edges are cooked through. Cooking time varies depending on size of the chicken breasts and temperature of the grill. Flip the chicken and cook for another 5-8 minutes (5 minutes for thinly sliced breasts, 8 or more for full sized), or until juices run clear when cut through the thickest part of the meat.
- Allow the chicken to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Chicken breasts can be prepared in the oven or on the stovetop if you don’t have a grill. For the oven, place the entire baking sheet of breasts into a preheated oven at 400°F (204°C) and bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes. If using the stovetop, place the chicken breasts into a large frying pan over medium heat (add 1-2 tablespoons of olive or avocado oil to the pan first). Flip the breasts after about 10 minutes, allowing the other side to cook for an additional 7 minutes. Exact cooking time will vary depending on the size of the breasts.
Batch Cooking and Leftovers:
- For freezing: Spread the individual breasts onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet, then place the baking sheet into the freezer. Once the breasts are frozen, transfer to a freezer bag for storage.
- Add Homemade Mayonnaise and some vegetables to create Grilled Chicken Salad with Fresh Vegetables, or use on top of an Everyday Salad or “Pasta” Bowl.
Make It a Meal:
- Serve with Grilled Zucchini and Yellow Squash, Dilly Sweet Potato Salad, and sliced cucumbers.
I hope you enjoy this Grilled Chicken Breast With Basil recipe.