This Dinner Rice Recipe is a hearty meal packed with the goodness of rice and vegetables, wonderfully fragrant with saffron. You can have it by itself or combine it with the yoghurt salad from our Salads Section. It is truly s delicious Rice Dish with Vegetables-A Complete Meal by Itself.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Ingredients for Dinner Rice Recipe
- Rice (1 ¾ cup)
- Mixed Vegetables (1 ¼ cup—use French beans, carrots, peas and cauliflower)
- Onion (4 ½ )
- Thick Yoghurt (2/3 cup)
- Saffron Strands (2 ½tsp)
- Milk (2tsp)
- Sugar (3/4 tsp)
- Unsalted Butter (6 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
For the spice paste:
- Onions (2 medium)
- Garlic Cloves (4)
- Poppy Seeds (1 1/2tsp)
- Aniseeds (1 1/2tsp)
- Ginger (1 inch piece)
- Whole Red Chilies (3)
- Green Chilies (2)
- Curry Leaves (a few)
- Cloves (5)
- Black Peppercorns (4)
- Cinnamon (1 inch piece)
- Cumin Seeds (1 ¼ tsp)
- Coriander Seeds (2 ½ tsp)
- Dried Coconut (2 tbsp)
Before you start:
- Boil the rice until cooked through. Make sure the grains are separate.
- Dice and boil the vegetables but they should not be mashy.
- Cut the onions lengthwise and keep aside.
- Warm the saffron a little and dissolve it in the milk.
- Beat the yoghurt until smooth.
Preparing the paste:
- Soak the poppy seeds in half a cup of warm water.
- Combine all the ingredients for the spice paste and grind till smooth. You can add water as needed.
How to cook Dinner Rice Recipe with Vegetables
- Heat 3 tbsp of the unsalted butter in a pan and fry the onion until golden brown. Remove from the butter and set aside.
- Add the spice paste and fry till the spices are cooked. Take off the heat and allow to cool for a bit.
- Add the beaten yoghurt, sugar and salt.
- In a baking bowl, melt and spread the 3 tbsp of the butter. Also spread half the golden onions.
- Put in half the rice and even out.
- Spread the yoghurt-spice mix next.
- Layer the boiled vegetables next.
- Layer with the balance onions.
- Top with the balance rice.
- Cover and bake in a preheated oven at 400 C degrees.
- Invert onto a serving dish and serve hot.
If you would prefer this Dinner Rice Recipe to be less spicy, reduce the amounts proportionately.