Dried White Peas is very simple dish to make but you will need to presoak the peas for about 6 hours. This dish Goes well with roti and rice.
White peas look quite similar to garbanzo beans, except that they are smaller in size and they are white in colour. White peas are nothing but dried white peas. They are produced by harvesting the peapods when they are fully mature and then they are dried. They are available throughout the year. In India, they are mostly used in Gujarati and Maharashtrian cuisines.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Dried White Peas (2 cups)
- Onion (1 medium)
- Tomato (1 medium)
- Garlic (3 flakes)
- Ginger (1 inch piece)
- Coriander Powder (½ tsp)
- Cumin Powder (½ tsp)
- Garam Masala (1 tsp)
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil (2 tbsp)
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Before you start:
- Dice the onion and tomato and set aside separately.
- Crush the garlic and chop fine.
- Grate the ginger piece.
How to cook Dried White Peas
- Boil the white peas until soft.
- In a pan warm the oil and fry the onion, ginger and garlic.
- Sauté until the onion starts to brown.
- Add the tomato and fry until it softens.
- Add the boiled peas and stir thoroughly.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and let it simmer a little.
- Give the spices time to infuse.
- Stir in the garam masala and top with coriander leaves.
Serve Dried White Peas hot.
- If you intend to eat it with roti, you could leave it a little thick but if you intend to eat it with rice, create a little gravy.
- This you can do by adding boiling water a little at a time until you have the thickness you prefer. Let it simmer a bit.
- If you like the taste of raw onion, you can chop up a little and use to top the dish.