Get a taste of the Caribbean with this awesome chicken pineapple kebabs marinated in soy sauce, pineapple juice, rum, herbs and spices. Spice it up by adding chili pepper sauce if you prefer more zing.
Most people know that kebab originated in the Middle East. But actually, it now has countless versions and varieties all over the world. In the United States and North America, kebab is also popularly known as shish kebab. In Asia, it is typically referred to as satay. Kebab is an umbrella term for grilled skewers of sliced meat or seafood, often accompanied with vegetables, fruits, tofu, and other ingredients. The traditional kebab is made with lamb or mutton. But recipes all over the world now include fish, chicken and goat. In this website, you’re going to find different ways to create kebabs. Some are made with chicken, seafood, lamb and vegetables. Others are a combination of tofu and veggies or other vegan or vegetarian friendly options.
Serving Size: 6 | Preparation Cooking Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Ingredients for chicken pineapple kebabs
- ¼ Cup Scallions, Chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, Chopped
- ½ Cup Canned Pineapple Juice
- ¼ Cup Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup Rum
- 2 Tablespoons Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Ginger, Minced
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic, Crushed and Minced
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Lb. Chicken Thigh Fillet, Sliced Into Cubes
- 1 Red Onion, Sliced Into Chunks
- 1 Cup Pineapple Chunks
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
Ingredients For Banana Salad
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 3 bananas, sliced into cubes
How to Make chicken pineapple kebabs
- Add the following to the blender: scallions, jalapeno pepper, pineapple juice, soy sauce, lime juice, rum, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, curry powder, ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, coriander, allspice and cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the pureed marinade in a sealable plastic bag.
- Add the chicken to the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Prepare the banana salad by mixing the yogurt, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, brown sugar, onion, lime zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Toss the banana in the mixture.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat your grill.
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and out of the bag.
- Thread the chicken into the skewers, alternating with the onion and pineapple chunks.
- Mix the brown sugar and mustard.
- Place the kebabs on the grill.
- Brush the chicken, onion and pineapple with the mustard sauce.
- Grill for 5 to 8 minutes per side.
Serve the chicken pineapple kebabs with the banana salad. I hope you enjoy this combined recipe.