Chicken Chettinad is a delicious dish from Chettinad in the south of India. You can have it dry or with gravy as you like. Combine with roti or rice. In this article I will show you chettinad chicken home cooking method in easy steps.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken Chettinad
- Onion (1 large)
- Tomato (1 large)
- Garlic (5-6 cloves)
- Chicken (500 gm)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro leaves for garnishing
For marinating the chicken: chicken chettinad main ingredients
- Red Chillier Powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Ginger (1cm piece)
- Garlic (2 cloves)
For the paste:
- Ginger (1 cm piece)
- Shallots (6)
- Garlic (3 cloves)
- Green Chilies (2 optional)
- Chillier Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander Powder (1 tbsp)
For the coconut and cashew nut paste:
- Dried Coconut (2 tsp)
- Cashew nuts (5)
For the seasoning:
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Fennel Seeds (1/4 tsp)
- Garam Masala (1 tbsp)
- Curry Leaves (1 sprig)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
Before you start:
- Wash and drain the chicken. Cut into pieces.
- Prepare the marinade by pounding the ginger and garlic and mixing with the other ingredients. Mix into the chicken pieces and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Chop the onion and tomatoes.
- Grind the ingredients for the paste and set aside.
- Pour half a cup of boiling water over the coconut and cashew nuts and leave aside. Grind to a paste when cool.
How to make Chicken Chettinad
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they stop crackling, add the fennel seeds and the curry leaves. Sauté for a bit and add garam masala.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until the onion browns a little.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add the paste you prepared earlier. Cook for a bit.
- Add the marinated chicken. Also add about ¼ cup of water and salt.
- When the chicken is about half way done, add the coconut cashew nut paste.
- Stir well and let the chicken cook through.
Your Chicken Chettinad is ready. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Adjust the gravy to your liking. For instance, if you intend to eat the chicken with roti, you could dry it a little. But, if rice is your choice, add a little boiling water for added gravy. Simmer a bit and serve.
I hope you will enjoy this delicious Chicken Chettinad recipe.