Goa is famous for its beaches, music and food. Influenced by Portuguese, Christian and Konkani styles, Goan cuisine is one to die for and is a favorite of foodies. The Chicken Cafreal was another popular Goan dish and one of those sumptuous meals where anything seems to go this is a delightful green chicken dish from Goa. This spicy green gravy looks and tastes absolutely fabulous. It is marinated overnight with spices and herbs. Serve it on the thick bed of steaming rice and you’ll help yourself to another round of generous serving. You won’t need to put too much effort into this one.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for Chicken Cafreal
- Chicken (500 gms)
- Coconut Oil (2 tbsp)
- Unsalted Butter (2 tsp)
For the marinade:
- Green Chilies (7-8)
- Coriander Leaves ( 1 heaped cup)
- Ginger (2-inch piece)
- Poppy Seeds (1 tbsp)
- Black Peppercorns (7)
- Garlic Cloves (10 to 12)
- Cinnamon (1 inch piece)
- Cumin Seeds (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Cloves (4 cloves)
- Lemon Juice (1 tsp)
- Salt to taste
Before your start:
- Soak the poppy seeds in half a cup of boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- Grind together the ingredients for the marinade using a little water. Make into a smooth paste.
- Clean the chicken and cut into pieces.
- Mix the chicken into the marinade and leave aside overnight.
How to cook Chicken Cafreal
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the chicken pieces into it. As it cooks, top with the butter and allow to cook until done. Stir occasionally to cook evenly.
- Serve hot with salad and roti.
- If you don’t want to use poppy seeds, you can substitute cashew nuts. Take about 5 nuts and boil them in a little water until tender. Then you can grind them along with the other ingredients for the marinade.
I hope you will find this Chicken Cafreal recipe refreshing and exciting. I believe Indian cooking is truly great if you want to lead a healthier lifestyle with taste.