In Cauliflower Stew in Arhar Dal Gravy recipe, Split Pigeon Beans are used as a base for this stew that packs all the goodness of cauliflower and other vegetables. Have it with rice or roti.
Preparation Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Ingredients for Cauliflower Stew in Arhar Dal Gravy
- Cauliflower (one small head)
- Potato (1 medium sized)
- Carrot (1 Medium sized)
- Peas (a handful)
- Onion ( 1 medium)
- Tomato (1 medium)
- Split Pigeon Beans (½ cup) Arhar Dal
- Turmeric Powder (¼ tsp)
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice (1 tsp)
- Oil (2 tbsps)
- Curry leaves (1 sprig)
- Mustard Seeds (½ tsp)
For the dry spices:
- Dry Red Whole Chilies (3)
- Dried coconut (¼ cup)
- Coriander Seeds ( 1 ½ tbsps)
- Black Peppercorns (10-12)
- Split Chick Peas ( 1tbsp)
- Split Indian Black Lentils (1/2 tsp)
Before you start:
- Separate the cauliflower florets, wash and steep them in salted hot water to blanch them.
- Chop and cube the potato and carrot.
- Dice the onion and tomato separately.
How to cook Cauliflower Stew in Arhar Dal Gravy
- Use a heavy bottomed pan to dry roast the ingredients for the dry spices without adding the coconut. Add the coconut when they spices are almost done.
- Set the spices aside so they cool. Grind to a powder.
- Wash the split pigeon beans and put it into a pressure cooker with about 1 ½ cups of water. Cook until soft.
- Warm the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Raise the heat until the seeds start to splutter. Lower the heat, add the curry leaves and fry a little taking care not to burn them.
- Next, add the onions and sauté until they are translucent. Add the carrots, potatoes, cauliflower and turmeric powder. Sauté on a medium flame for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Next, add the dry spice powder you prepared earlier and the tomatoes. Sauté the mixture until the tomatoes soften through.
- Add the cooked split pigeon beans and the peas along with two cups of water. Let it boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and let the vegetables cook.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, stir in the lemon juice. Also add salt as per your taste.
Your Cauliflower Stew in Arhar Dal Gravy is ready.
- Remember to dry roast the spices on a low flame to very lightly brown them. Make sure you don’t burn them and you will know they are ready when they give off a nice aroma.
- Grind the spices only after they have cooled completely. They will become crisp and powder quickly.
- When cooking the vegetables, make sure they are not mashy.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, check the consistency of the stew. If you need to thin it a little, do so by adding boiling water a little at a time and stirring continuously.
- When buying your split pigeon beans, split chickpeas and split Indian Black lentils, look for the skinless variety.