Cauliflower & Corn Soup (Gobhi Makai Soup) is a delicious and healthy soup, prepared from cauliflower, fresh corn, and potatoes–cooked in onion and tomato sauce. Potatoes help in making the soup thick, and add a nice flavor to it.
Serves 4 | Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients for Cauliflower & Corn Soup
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil (Jaitoon Ka Tel)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 1 medium Onion (Pyaz)–finely chopped
- 1 big Clove Garlic (Lehsun)–grated
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (Namak)
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch)
- ½ teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder (Bhuna Zeera)
- ½ teaspoon Minced Ginger and Green Chili (Adrak-Hari Mirch) 2 cups Sliced
- Cauliflower Florets (Gobhi)
- ½ cup Fresh Corn Kernels (Makai)
- 2 medium Potatoes (Aloo)–peeled, diced and boiled (in microwave)
- 3 cups Hot Tap Water (reduces cooking time)
- 1 medium Tomato (Timatar)–finely chopped
- 1/8 cup Tomato Juice (Timatar Rus)
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Cilantro (Hara Dhaniya)–for garnish
How to cook Cauliflower & Corn Soup : Method
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, then add cumin seeds, and let them crackle. Add onions, and sauté for about 6-8 minutes, until golden. Reduce the heat to low-medium, then add garlic, turmeric, salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, and ginger-green chili.
Sauté for 2 minutes, until aromatic. Add cauliflower, and corn, then sauté, for 2 minutes, until they are slightly tender. Add potatoes, and water, then mix well. Increase the heat to medium-high, and let the soup come to a boil.
Reduce the heat back to low-medium, then cover, and cook for 10 minutes, until cauliflower is soft, and corn still has a crunch to it. Stir a few times, periodically. Add tomatoes, and tomato juice, then mix. Increase the heat to medium, and let the soup come to a boil. Reduce the heat back to low-medium, then cover and cook, for 15 minutes, until tomatoes are mushy.
Uncover, and cook for 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half, and soup is thick enough for your liking. Check the seasoning, and add more as needed. Turn off the heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot Cauliflower & Corn Soup with zucchini sandwich.