I love going to barbeques and it’s that lovely feeling of enjoying delicious home cooking outside in the sunshine. But quite frankly how often do you go to someone else’s barbeque and you end up with lots of food that is not that healthy? In this article, we’ll show you how to make Barbecued Greek Lemon Chicken at home.
Limes, grapefruit, oranges, tangerine, tangelos, or mandarin oranges can all be easily substituted for the lemons in this dish, as all have acidic juice and tangy, acidic, aromatic skin. Of course, you’ll have to change the name of the recipe.
- ¼ cup (59 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dried lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried savory
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mLgarlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 mL) lemon pepper
- 3 pounds (1.3 kg) chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1 cup (236 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 thin slices lemon
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced fresh parsley
- ¾ cup (177 mL) water
Total 4 servings
How to make Barbecued Greek Lemon Chicken
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, savory, salt, garlic powder, and lemon pepper. Prick the skin of the chicken pieces several times with a barbecue fork and place them in a 1-gallon (3.8-L) resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken; seal the bag, and shake to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium high (350°F (180°C) to 400°F (200°C]). Spray a 128-inch (3020-cm) baking pan with nonstick cooking or grilling spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot. Add half of the chicken and brown it well on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet with a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Place the chicken in the prepared baking pan and pour the marinade over the chicken. Bake, covered, basting occasionally, until the chicken is tender, about 50 minutes.
The Barbecued Greek Lemon Chicken is ready to be served. Serve the chicken pieces on a tray, topping each piece with a lemon slice and a sprinkle of parsley.