Arhar Dal is the most basic and common form of dal curry found among all regions of India. It is a daily staple to most households. The dal remains constant, the tarka and seasoning vary between different regions. This one is popular in the western part of India.
Ingredients for Arhar Dal
- Dal: 1 cup arhar dal or split-yellow pigeon peas
- 4 to 5 cups water
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp.salt
- 3-4 pieces dried mangosteen flowers or (Kokum), optional
Ingredients for Tarka or Dal Fry:
- 3 tbsp ghee or oil of your choice
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2-inch knob of fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
How to cook Arhar Dal or Toor Dal
- Prepare the dal by rinsing it in cold running water until washed water appears clear, about 3-4 minutes. Soak the dal in water overnight in the same pot that you prepare to cook. You can reduce the soak time by half if you are strapped with time.
- Cook the dal by adding turmeric, salt and kokum and bringing it to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to simmer and cook for approx. 20 to 30 minutes.
- While the dal is cooking, prepare the tarka by heating a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and wait for about 30 secs to a min for them to sizzle and pop. Add the onions curry leaves, ginger, and garlic to the dal and cook until onions are caramelized for about 10 minutes.
- Once the dal is fully cooked, add the tarka to it. Adjust salt to taste and serve.
This Arhar Dal curry Pairs well with – any variation of flatbreads or with steamed Basmati rice.
Enjoy Your meal. !!