Aloo Tikki Bread Sandwich is my favorite potato cutlet sandwich. It is delicious, full of flavor, and satisfying, and can be eaten as a light lunch, or dinner. Potato cutlets can be eaten on their own, as a snack with mint chutney.
Serves 4 | Makes 8 | Prep Time: 1 hour | Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Aloo Tikki Bread Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil (Jaitoon Ka Tel)
- 8 Slices of Wheat or White Bread
- ½ cup Tomato Ketchup
- ½ cup Mint Chutney (Podina Chutney)–Refer to Recipe on P24
- 4 Lettuce Leaves–washed and dried
- 4 Tomato Slices(Timatar)
- 8-10 Red Onion Rings (Lal Pyaz)–pickled in lemon juice and salt pinch of Crushed Red Pepper (Kuti Lal Mirch)–to sprinkle
- pinch of Salt (Namak)–to sprinkle
- pinch of Ground Black Pepper (Pisi Kali Mirch)–to sprinkle
- 4 Potato Cutlets (Aloo Tikki)–Refer to Potato Cutlets Recipe here
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Cilantro (Hara Dhaniya)
- 2 tablespoons Sliced Scallions (Hara Pyaz)
How to make Aloo Tikki Bread Sandwich : Method
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster, or under the broiler with drizzle of olive oil, for about 1-2 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Spread tomato ketchup on one slice, and mint chutney on the other.
- Place a lettuce leaf on mint chutney bread slice, then a tomato slice, 2 onion rings, and sprinkle of crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper to taste.
- Top it with a potato cutlet, some cilantro, and scallions.
- Place the tomato ketchup slice on top. Gently press and cut diagonally to make two triangle sandwiches. Repeat until all are done, then serve.
Variations in Aloo Tikki Bread Sandwich
- Substitute bread slices with hamburger buns, then prepare the potato burger. Keep the other ingredients as same.
- Change the shape of potato cutlet from round to long, just like a hot dog; then prepare a vegetarian hot dog with some mustard, and chopped pickled jalapeno on top.